Bench research in animal models by combining cutting-edge imaging/sensing technologies and molecular/genetic manipulations enables us to delve into the cellular and molecular mechanisms of human diseases.
- S. Da Mesquita, A. Louveau, A. Vaccari, I. Smirnov, RC. Cornelison, KM. Kingsmore, C. Contarino, S. Onengut-Gumuscu, E. Farber, D. Raper, KE. Viar, RD. Powell, W. Baker, N. Dabhi, R. Cao, S. Hu, S. Rich, JM. Munson, CC. Overall, ST. Acton, J. Kipnis. “Functional aspects of meningeal lymphatics in aging and Alzheimer’s disease,” Nature 560, 185-191 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-018-0368-8
- R. Cao, J. Li, Y. Kharel, C. Zhang, K. Lynch, Z. Zuo, S. Hu. “Photoacoustic microscopy of sphingosine 1-phosphate-induced neuroprotection against ischemic stroke,” Theranostics, 8(22), 6111-6120 (2018).
- R. Cao, C. Zhang, V. Mitkin, M. Lankford, J. Li, Z. Zuo, C. Meyer, C. Goyne, S. Ahlers, J. Stone, S. Hu. “Comprehensive characterization of cerebrovascular dysfunction in blast traumatic brain injury using photoacoustic microscopy,” Journal of Neurotrauma, 36(10):1526-1534 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1089/neu.2018.6062
- N. Sun, S. Zheng, D. Rosin, N. Poudel, J. Yao, H. Perry, R. Cao, M. Okusa, S. Hu, “Development of a photoacoustic microscopy technique to assess peritubular capillary function and oxygen metabolism in the mouse kidney,” Kidney International 100.3 (2021): 613-620. (Featured on cover) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.kint.2021.06.018
- T. Keller, J. Butcher, G. Broseghini-Filho, C. Marziano, L. DeLalio, S. Rogers, B. Ning, J. Martin, S. Chechova, M. Cabot, X. Shu, A. Best, M. Good, A. Padilha, M. Purdy, M. Yeager, S. Peirce, S. Hu, A. Doctor, E. Barrett, T. Le, L. Columbus, and B. Isakson, “Modulating Vascular Hemodynamics With an Alpha Globin Mimetic Peptide (HbaX),” Hypertension, 68(6), 1494-1503 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.116.08171
Clinical translation of the bench-validated technologies improves disease theranostics and reveals new observations that stimulate further bench research.
- Y. Zhou, X. Yi, W. Xing, S. Hu, K. Maslov, and L. V. Wang, “Microcirculatory changes identified by photoacoustic microscopy in patients with complex regional pain syndrome type I after stellate ganglion blocks,” J. Biomed. Opt. 19(8), 086017 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.JBO.19.8.086017